Orthodontics is a branch of dentistry dedicated to correcting the alignment of teeth. Malocclusion has been a common dental issue for as long as one can remember. Each year, millions of Americans are diagnosed with malocclusion and receive treatment for it. This shows how important the alignment of teeth is in the overall appearance of a person.
Dr. Mouhannad Almajdalani, DDS, is one of the best cosmetic dentists in the San Francisco and Daly City area. Over his long-running career, he has treated several patients with malocclusion and has provided comprehensive treatment solutions in the most effective manner.
Why is orthodontic treatment essential?
- Crooked teeth are generally much difficult to brush and floss compared to straighter teeth. This leaves a lot of microbes on the teeth, leading to discoloration, a formation of tartar and cavities.
- From an aesthetic point of view, misaligned teeth leave a bad appearance on a person’s smile. People with misaligned teeth feel very conscious while talking and smiling in others’ presence.
- Misaligned teeth can invite excessive pressure on certain teeth. This can cause deformation of the jawbone or even TMJ disorder. Sometimes, during serious cases, it may also induce a change in the shape of the jawbone.
What are the common malocclusion issues?
- Open Bite: When the jaw is clenched, the molars touch each other, but the frontal teeth don’t meet.
- Crossbite: One or more teeth of either jaw do not align with the remaining teeth. This can leave a very bad appearance.
- Crowding: The teeth appear crowded as one or more teeth overlap on each other. It can be caused due to improper growth of the permanent teeth right after the milk teeth fall off.
- Spacing:The teeth are spaced too far away from each other. Most often, it is caused by a wide dental arch or due to extracted teeth.
- Overbite: The frontal teeth of the upper jaw protrude over that of the lower jaw.
- Underbite: The frontal teeth of the lower jaw protrude over that of the upper jaw. It is caused due to heredity or an overgrown lower jaw.
Braces are the most widely used orthodontic appliances to treat malocclusion. They consist of metal or composite brackets that are glued on to the surface of the teeth. A series of wires (either nylon or metal) run through them and help to apply pressure on the teeth. The wires can be tightened or loosened to vary the pressure applied on the teeth. They are highly effective and are known to solve some of the most complicated malocclusion issues.
Invisalign is a recent breakthrough in the world of orthodontic dentistry and is gaining popularity pretty quickly. It is a set of customized orthodontic aligners that is made from clear plastic material. The patient has to wear them every day for a duration of 22 hours for the teeth to move to their desired positions. Since they are transparent in nature, they do a great job at staying ‘hidden’, but silently work their magic during the treatment period.
Call us at (415) 921-5555 or schedule an online appointment to get your malocclusion treated and get the best overall dental care.