Full mouth reconstruction is a collection of dental procedures aimed at improving both the aesthetics and functionality of the mouth. Patients who are suffering from multiple dental problems and require extensive care will be especially benefitted by it.
Dr. Mouhannad Almajdalani, DDS, is a certified dentist who has offices in both San Francisco and Daly City. He and his team are perfectly capable of conducting various dental procedures that give his patients a beautiful and healthy smile that go a long way.
What procedures does a full mouth reconstruction include?
A full mouth reconstruction, as the name suggests, is restoring the entire mouth including the teeth, roots, gums, soft tissues, jawbone, and lips to its optimal functionality and appearance. The procedures will be customized to suit the needs of individual patients after a careful diagnosis by the dentist. Some of the procedures involved in it are as follows:
- Tooth fillings: Cavities are common and occur when the patient consumes a lot of sugar content and a lot of microbes are left on the teeth. They completely ruin the appearance of the smile. Tooth colored filling material can be used to treat them and restore their appearance back to normal.
- Whitening: Teeth whitening removes the tough stains left on the teeth by excessive consumption of colored foods and improper brushing.
- Deep cleaning: Deep cleaning is a process of removing the accumulated plaque and tartar from the surface of the teeth and roots. This gets rid of the infection causing bacteria, gives whiter teeth and reduces halitosis (bad breath).
- Crowns and bridges: Crowns are one of the most preferred cosmetic dental solutions to treat chipped, misshapen, discolored and cracked teeth. They are made from high-quality ceramic material and do a great job at strengthening the teeth. Bridges are replacement prosthetic teeth that are bonded in place of extracted teeth. They are highly sought after due to their excellent durability and life-like appearance.
- Dental implants: Implants are also tooth replacements, but the difference between them and bridges is that they are much stronger, sturdier and long-lasting. They are fixed to the jawbone via metal posts and a ceramic tooth is placed over them.
- Gum graft: Gums may recede due to infections such as gingivitis and periodontitis, poor oral hygiene, external trauma, etc. This may expose the roots beyond the optimal level and cause the teeth to loosen from their sockets. In such situations, healthy gum tissues may have to be extracted from a different part of the mouth (either gums, palate or soft inner lining) and grafted to the receded area.
- Bone graft: Bone deterioration may occur when the bone density is low, due to TMJ disorder, malocclusion, and tooth extractions. The thickness, length, and width of the jawbone would decrease, leading to potential loosening of teeth and change in the shape of the jaws. Bone cells from a different part of the body will be extracted and grafted to the deteriorated area.
- Orthodontics: Orthodontic treatment would be necessary if a patient has misaligned teeth. They apply uneven pressure on the jawbone, leave a bad appearance on the smile of a person and can lead to TMJ disorder. Braces and Invisalign are orthodontic appliances used to treat crooked teeth and bring them to their right positions.
Along with the above-mentioned procedures, full mouth reconstruction may also include periodontal treatment, root canal therapy, inlays, onlays, bonding, sealants, extractions, dentures, oral surgeries and reconstructing failed restorations.
Schedule an appointment with us and learn more about full mouth rehabilitation in Daly City or San Francisco.